How We're Organised
Reviews and Responses
The Synod of the Presbyterian Church in Singapore seeks suitably qualified Christian leaders to apply for the position of General Secretary.
You may direct your enquiries and/or application to Rev Dr Steven Gan (email@example.com) by September 30th 2018. Applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
| Job Title: ||General Secretary (GS) |
| Reports to: ||Synod Moderator (SM) |
| Salary: ||Negotiable |
| Employment Status: ||Full-Time |
As chief executive officer, the GS’s main responsibility is to lead, direct and deliver on approved programmes and advance the mission, vision and goals of PCS.
Together with the SM, to maintain the unity and organizational effectiveness of The Presbyterian Church in Singapore (PCS) as a denomination.
(A) Supports the SM in his primary roles
- Supports and represents the SM in his role as pastor to the pastors
- Supports and represents the SM in some of his official duties both locally and overseas.
(B) Implements Strategic Direction and Policy
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Works closely with SM in implementing Exco approved strategic direction and policy development.
(A) MANAGEMENT FUNCTION
- Develop Synod Committees in alignment with overall PCS goals and calendar of events.
- Actively participate in and coordinate the goal-setting and planning of Synod Committees.
(B) COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLIC RELATIONS FUNCTION
- Represent PCS (in the absence of the Synod Moderator) and its Presbyteries externally while maintaining relationships with all the churches and various committees internally.
- Responsible for all internal and external communication and public relations issues of PCS and the member-churches.
- Provide oversight to all official communique to the member-churches, schools and organizations in consultation with the Synod Moderator.
(C) DEVELOPMENTAL FUNCTION
- Initiate and develop ministries and programmes with member-churches, Presbyterian Schools, AICS and Presbyterian Community Services in alignment with Synod's mission and goals.
- An ordained person, either lay or clergy.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of senior management work experience OR as a Senior Minister AND participated in the EXCO of the English Presbytery or Chinese Presbytery or the Synod.
- Must be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident.
(B) Communication Skills
- Good command of both the English and Chinese languages.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in speaking and writing.
- Good public speaking and presentation skills.
- A good listener providing constructive feedback and instructions.
(C) Relationship Qualities
- Ability to establish and sustain good relationship with all internal and external associations and organizations.
- A good and effective mediator.
- Possess a respectful disposition, able to value others.
- The GS shall be appointed by the Synod EXCO for the first term and subsequent extension will be by election at the Synod AGM with a 2/3 majority.
- The GS can serve a maximum of three consecutive 4-year terms subject to approval at SYNOD AGM with a 2/3 majority
(E) Personal Characteristics
- Proven leadership record, independent starter, proactive, meticulous, confident, calm, and flexible.
- Takes pride in completing a task or project on time.
(F) Business Characteristics
- Good command of publication knowledge.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to multi-task and delegate tasks.